Zoe & Al (photographer John Wigley)
The wonderful thing about a humanist wedding is that you can tailor-make the day to suit your style and beliefs. The choices are yours entirely: the venue, the music, the readings etc. You can write your own vows, say what you want as you exchange rings, light candles, plant trees – the sky is your limit! The only thing I can’t do is the legal side – you still have to fit in a visit to the register office to make it legal. (Look out for the legalisation of Humanist Marriages – coming soon!)
A typical ceremony might include a welcome to the guests; some background to your relationship (why you have decided to get married at this time and place); your views on marriage; some readings by friends or family; your vows; an exchange of rings; a signing of a certificate if you wish; and a non-religious blessing.
If you have children, I can suggest ways of including them in your special day and if your baby was born before the wedding, we can include a naming ceremony too.
My fee is £500 and this covers:
- all my travel within a 50 miles radius (I am happy to travel further or overseas)
- an initial meeting to get to know you and talk over what kind of ceremony you want
- my writing a unique script for your ceremony, with as many emailed edits as it takes to get it just right
- a rehearsal at the venue (especially recommended if there are other readers or complicated moves)
- my services on the day
- a presentation copy of the script and certificate for you to keep
If you’d like to know more, my contact details are on the right of this page, so please ring me or email to arrange a time and place to meet. At this meeting, if you decide to go ahead, a deposit of £100 is required to secure your date in my diary and for me to start writing.